Sunday, February 24, 2008

One For The Road

As Sarah and I were walking to the train station to board our train to Bulgaria, I was asked a question by a waiter which I had never been asked before. Let me preface this story by mentioning that it is not out of the ordinary for any of the people working in a restaurant to come outside and talk to passer byers. Normally the conversations range from local soccer teams to American politics. However, this waiter completely caught me off guard. After looking at Splat, he asked in his most curious voice, "How many camels did you have to give her family in order to obtain her?" My first reaction was a simple, "WHAT!" He then repeated the question slowly, "How many camels did it cost you for her?" The only response I could think of was telling the man, "You would not believe how many camels I had to part with ... and elephants too!" He seemed rather impressed by this answer and let us continue on our way.

Later that night, on the train, we were approached by the Bulgarian border patrol. They get on the trains that are traveling at night and check everyone's passport to make sure there are no stowaways. Of course, we had the only room on the train that didn't have a working light. This caused the security guys to come into our room to examine our passports. The first guy shines his light on Splat's passport and then on her face. He then says in English (with a heavy Bulgarian accent), "I believe this car is heaven and you are an angel!" After that, I don't even think it mattered that I was in the room. I could have been smuggling nuclear warheads, but it wouldn't have been a problem because the security guard liked my girlfriend.

I just wanted to get a few of these stories off my chest, before new and exciting ones come along. Hope everyone is doing well. Drop a message if you get a chance.

No comments: