Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Beautiful Day In Bulgaria

Ahhhh ... Bulgaria. What a wonderful place. Splat and I arrived in Sofia, the capital, after a long night train from Istanbul. We stepped outside, took one look at the city, and decided to push on to a smaller town called Veliko Tarnovo. It was at this juncture in the trip that I experienced my first major culture shock. In Bulgaria, people shake their head side to side to indicate yes and up and down to signal no. Of course I am use to seeing the head go side to side and hearing the word "no," but this was not the case. It has been minorly confusing.

We have been doing the usual sight seeing, and a few days ago we saw a huge fortress that over looks the entire city. I really had to use the restroom, and my Bulgarian is rather shaky so I was not sure exactly which direction to turn. While I was snooping around I noticed a rather cute dog chained to a dog house in the middle of this fortress. The dog was tiny and didn't seem to pose any initial threat. I tried to tip-toe my way around it, and the bastard sprung at me and bit my leg! In retrospect, I guess I could have drop kicked the dog, but I am not a huge fan of animal abuse, so I took it like a man. Thank god that I had to get a tetanus shot before going to Africa.

In the meantime, Splat and I have decided to try out this website called couchsurfing.com, which places travelers with people who have open couches in a specific area. So far no one has worn our skin as a suit, so that is a huge positive. In fact, we have met some really friendly and interesting people. The travels continue as we head to Romania tomorrow, I will keep you posted. As they say in Bulgaria ... Daaaaa!

1 comment:

jillbilly said...

So that's where that lovely picture of you leg came from - has the reddness gone away? Swelling? Fever? Are you coming back whole? GET IT CHECKED. That's your mother speaking.
Anyway - be careful no ones tries to sell Sarah on the open market. Keep in touch - I love you